Monday, February 1, 2010

A reply to Kosuke: Why I study for the Kanji Kentei

Hi Kosuke. Thanks for your concern. Sorry for the words that I wrote which are disturbing you. I only mean to show that I have no delusions that this kind of study is going to have a permanent effect.

By way of example, I had been preparing for the level 8 test last spring but I missed the registration deadline so I didn't take the test in June. At that time I was doing quite well on the past tests and could have passed the real one easily. After that time, I did not study any more. About 5 months later, I started to prepare again for the level 8 and my proficiency sunk to a failing level. I had to work my way back up.

Maybe the same thing will happen again. I don't know. I have a 日本語 journal over on Vox, and recently I have started writing in it. If I keep up this habit, then I won't forget how to write Kanji. Kanji is not something we can study once and learn, and then set aside, and expect it will be there for us forever. Kanji is much more like physical fitness. If you want to be able to write Kanji, you have to do it regularly. So that is the purpose of my Vox blog. To keep Kanji fit.

You ask, what's my purpose for taking the Kanji tests? The purpose is to have a certification that shows I have studied Kanji and can read and write Japanese. The certification is especially important for employment. Without it, you can talk all you want about your Kanji ability, but some interviewers will just doubt you anyway. I think all Japanese people know how difficult it is to keep up handwriting skills in this computerized era where we don't need to write by hand anymore. If Japanese people find it difficult, then of course they will have a hard time believing that you (whomever you are), a foreigner, finds writing Kanji easy. Why should they believe you? They have their own experience so they know it's not easy. But if you at least have passed Kanken tests, then you can prove that you have Kanji ability equal to a Japanese. Even if you've forgotten how a word is written, the certification backs up what you say. With no certification, if you've said you can write Japanese but then you get stuck on a word, you just look like a fool. Who will get more respect? The person who strongly said he can read and write Japanese but then gets stuck when he tries to show it, or worse, writes it wrong. Or the person who has passed the certification test and doesn't need to show that he can write.

Think about it? Why would any Japanese person believe that you can read and write Kanji? If they ask, how can a learner convincingly tell them, yes I can? Simply saying yes is not very convincing, so without some proof, you either have to talk big or show the money.  Just talking does nothing to rid the doubts. So, I think being able to say that you've passed the Kanken (level 2 or whatever) allows you to remain humble and satisfy the inquisition, as well as avoid being put on the spot to prove it.

If one is not taking the certification test for this purpose, then one does not need to take it at all. If you have the self-discipline to study Kanji for a short period every day, you can get quite far. If you don't, then probably the test is not going to really help, because after you finish getting the certifications, you probably will stop writing Kanji and they will slowly slip away. Being able to read does nothing to keep up the ability to write.

Everybody needs to realize that writing Kanji is a lifetime commitment. Are you willing to keep up with it? If not, then just save your time and stick to reading only and composing on the computer.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Keith,

    Once again sorry, my last comment comes off nothing other than rude.

    I think you taking the Kanken is fantastic and there I totally agree there are a countless benefits. I just think your approach to studying it is incorrect.

    You said:

    I do not expect that I am going to learn most of these new words. At best, I will be able to read them and write them, but I will forget what they mean. And after I pass the real test, I will forget how to read and especially write them.


    What about using an SRS so you never forget what you've learned? I mean, isn't it great to look at your Kanken Certificates weeks/months/years later and know you can still read and write everything the certificate says you can.

    Below are 3 images from the front of the Kanken application form. It displays 3 embarrassing situations and why its good to take the Kanken. It's one think to not be able to read or write something like in the picture but to have a certificate that claims you can when you can't [anymore] is more embarrassing.

    http://img6.imageshack.us/i/0060t.jpg/
    http://img297.imageshack.us/i/0059.jpg/
    http://img535.imageshack.us/i/0058.jpg/

    I just want you to approach Kanken with the same dedicated attitude you do with your other studies, I often read you blog and was disappointed that your usual dedication is lacking in your approach to the Kanken. That is all.

    Sorry if I have come off as rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kosuke,
    I haven't taken any offense. Your reaction sounds reasonable.

    The suggestion to use an SRS sounds like you will be relying on it for the rest of your life. Is that your plan? I see the SRS as a substitute for actual use of what you have learned. If you actually use your knew knowledge, and I mean use it regularly, you won't need the SRS.

    I don't think it's embarrassing if you can no longer write some words. I see young Japanese adults just a couple years out of University having to check some Kanji on their mobile phone before they can write it down on paper. They are the ones who should be most likely to write Kanji since it wasn't all that long ago that they used them for many years in school, taking notes and such. And these are not rare Kanji either, so that's not the excuse.

    What's most important to me is to have proof that I have studied all the Daily-Use Kanji. I didn't go to school in Japan, (and I haven't studied all of them yet) so I have no other way that I would be able to show it.

    Kanji study is something I do want to complete. Right now it is a thorough method that will let me gradually go through each level. But I don't want to have nothing to show for it.

    The first photo talks about not being able to remember how to write the name for some location even though it is an easy name. I don't think this situation would embarrass me. See reason 1 below.

    The second photo is about writing the wrong Kanji during a business presentation. That would be embarrassing. The lesson for us is to check the Kanji before we give the presentation. You should be prepared for your presentation. However, I have seen plenty of office meetings where people have trouble writing a few Kanji.

    The third photo is about not being able to read a word when asked by your daughter and not being able to explain a 熟語. This situation hardly applies to me. What do those kids expect if they have a non-Japanese for a father?! Haha.

    Reasons why it's not embarrassing to forget how to write some words:
    1. Place names are not of any importance as long as they are not part of my address. I can't remember anymore my old phone number that I had years ago. So why should I be expected to write every place name in Japan?

    2. The test does not test you on every single word possible. And you don't have to get 100 percent to pass. The test is just proof that you have studied those Kanji well enough to have passed a certification exam. It doesn't mean that you are required to save someone's life, I mean, you are not unexcused if you can't write a word or two.

    If you do get into an embarrassing situation and someone laughs at you, you will be able to shout at them, "I've passed the Kanji Kentei!" Just kidding. But seriously, most people have not taken a Kanji Kentei test and they would respect a foreigner who has passed a significant level.

    I have to do more than just pass the Kanji tests if I want to keep the ability. I need to read a lot and write daily.

    I think we need to keep a realistic attitude about Kanji and not get upset with ourselves if we can't read some word in a children's book.

    I know that just studying the words doesn't mean I know them. I need to read them often so that I understand them.

    I didn't get started on studying for the level 7 as early as I should have, so it does feel a bit like cramming. After this test, I will get started on level 6 right away because now I know exactly what I want to do to prepare.

    My dedication to pass the test is there. How much further I go after that is questionable. Anyway, I will post my scores when they come in, like I did for 漢検8級結果.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I took the Level 7 test. Guess I can start forgetting it all now. ;)

    No, wait. I'll need some of it for Level 6.
    Time to get started on studying for 6級!

    ReplyDelete