Monday, January 18, 2010

Kanji Kentei Level 7

This is Keith here... I will be taking level 7 of the 日本漢字能力検定 (にほんかんじのうりょくけんてい) on February 12th. I am preparing for the test, which is different than studying Kanji. Why is it different? Because I'm simply taking copies of the test that were administered in the past. I have special books with those.


I do each test. Mark my score. Then look up the words that are new to me. Most of the words are going to be repeated again and again. I'm sure that if I can get to the level where I am able to pass past tests, then I'll be able to pass the next one too.

For level 7, 70% of the 200 points are needed to pass the test. So far, I have taken 2 past tests and I scored 58.5% and 58% on them. Almost exactly the same! So I know where I stand right now.

I do not expect that I am going to learn most of these new words. At best, I will be able to read them and write them, but I will forget what they mean. And after I pass the real test, I will forget how to read and especially write them.

I even made an answer sheet form that I can print out for each practice test. That way I don't have to write all the numbers out each time. You can see the book and my latest answer sheet in the photo below.

4 comments:

  1. If you keep on practicing how to write the words even after the test is over, you wont't forget how to write them. I mean that's what the Japanese do in school, they keep on writing and writing and that's how they can remember the Kanji... until they leave school of course...

    頑張ってね!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already left school, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not expect that I am going to learn most of these new words. At best, I will be able to read them and write them, but I will forget what they mean. And after I pass the real test, I will forget how to read and especially write them.


    I'm really disappointed Keith.I read this weeks ago, I didn't want to say anything because however way I word it it sounds rude but its been bugging me. If that's your approach to the kanken tests whats the point of taking them?

    I don't want to hear the "they're words that are rarely used nowadays" or anything alone those lines. If that's your reasoning then there's even less point in you taking the test to begin with.

    Sorry to sound rude but up until now your attitude towards language learning has been an inspiration. Certification is to show knowledge in a field, not the efforts of a cram session.

    ReplyDelete