Friday, July 24, 2009

Ahmad's update

I think now I am all set, Anki works perfectly, and the method is now clear. I follow the sequence of the book "Kanji ABC" which groups the Kanjis according to similar radicals, this is different from the regular approach of grouping Kanji according to difficulty or usage. I believe it is the natural approach since you get to know how exactly each radical is used within many Kanji so you get a feel of how it works.

I find the kunyomi (Japanese reading) easier than the onyomi, so perhaps if anybody can tell me of a way I can guess the on yomi from the character itself, I would appreciate it very much.

I am still behind a bit, but we will see who will win at the end!, I am not sure who is actually participating in this contest now, is it only me, Keith and nickolas ?

6 comments:

  1. Intersting way to learn kanji.
    I remember the onyomi mostly be learning the vocabulary that use it, I take a few 'simple' word at my level with the kanji. Same with the ateji.

    I lean the kanji for jlpt3, but still my jlpt4 december last year I have a hard time keeping a schedule and work a little each day.

    I think Keith and Nickolas are too far away fo tollow, beaing able to learn so many kanji/word a day is too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cyril,

    Well, don't worry, I think what matters is to find an interesting method to learn, that's how you can keep a schedule.

    What is ateji by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ateji is when a word has Kanji that is based on the characters reading and not the meaning of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies for the delay, I'm so incredibly behind in my school work I haven't had time to post, hopefully by the end of the week i'll have some time to make a post.

    Unfortunatley I've had to do a whole bunch of cramming for an exam and I've only been ably to learn maybe around 50 kanji. More info later

    cheers

    Kosuke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam Ahmad,

    I think Kun'yomi is more difficult, maybe it's because Chinese is my first language?!

    On'yomi is really close to some Chinese dialects, especially Hakka and Cantonese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. peace, the problem is there are so many kanji with the same onyomi!, quite confusing but I am sure there is a way around it.

    ReplyDelete