Sunday, July 19, 2009

Keith's day 4

I am in front of the TV (Japanese TV) all day. I have been keeping that up since the day before this Kanji Challenge began. So sometimes I see on TV, one of the new characters I am now studying. I might even find one of the words or hear a word that is on my list. I wish they appeared all the time but that doesn't happen.

I wish I already knew all the words and was only learning to read them now. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's so much easier to learn to read a word that I already know than to learn to read a word I don't even know yet. I think on my second pass through the flashcards, I am able to read those words that I already know even if the Kanji is totally new for me. Even if I have some familiarity with the Kanji character, it is harder to read when I don't know the word.

I think this has something to do with the intangibility of words. The Kanji characters themselves are very tangible. They have shape and you can see them. It seems easier for my brain to give me the word that I know when I look at Kanji than to try to come up with an unknown word for a familiar character. In fact, it's very simple. I remember in the past when there were times that I looked up some Kanji word only to find out that it was a word I already knew but had never seen in Kanji before. After that it could be read easily without need for review.

Here are the characters I studied today:

          
          
     殿     
          

No comments:

Post a Comment