Monday, July 20, 2009

Nick's Strategy

Hello Everyone! Sorry for the late post.

Studying Chinese characters is my most favorite aspect of studying Japanese (and Chinese). As I have passed Level 2 of the JLPT, and Level 5 of the Kanji Aptitude Test (漢字能力検定), I officially know about 1000 Kanji. However, I think I actually know around 1400 Kanji as I have been studying after passing those tests. Add to that the number of characters that I have learned throughout the course of studying Chinese, and I probably know a few dozen more. Even though the usage and form of Kanji used in the Chinese language is different from it's use and form in Japanese, knowing one form and use in one language helps you to learn the form and use in another much more easily.

I think studying Kanji with a group of people is good as you can get encouragement. My strategy is pretty simple. I will read 3 pages of the Kanji in Context Workbook vol. 2 starting from the 5th level. By doing so, I will be familiarized with 30 Kanji everyday. If I finish up to the last page before the challenge ends, I will start again from the 4th level of Kanij in context.

My weakest point in learning Kanji is learning its Kunyomi (native Japanese) pronunciations. Onyomi is very easy to guess once you are familiar with the phonetic elements in Chinese characters. However, with Kunyomi you have no choice but to memorize them. To help me remember Kunyomi, I have made a list at smart.fm of Kanji and only their native Japanese reading. If you would like to use, or help add to this list, please tell me.






Hopefully this will help me pass Level 1 of the JLPT in December.
Good Luck to everyone on this challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nick! That's great that you've passed the Kanken level 5! You must know lots of vocabulary!

    Happy 海の日!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah very good Nicholas, keep it up. could you tell me a little about how to guess the on yomi just by looking at the character?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok sure... I will make a post about it.

    ReplyDelete