Friday, July 17, 2009

Keith's day 2

Today I went through another 44 Kanji characters in exactly the same way as I described yesterday. I forgot to mention that I put the 2 different types of questions into one file so they are mixed together when the quiz order is created. Therefor, I'm not just doing one type and then the other type. I think this is better than doing them separately because it keeps my brain from falling into a pattern. It's a lot easier to just read a full word than it is to try to remember which word I am learning for a single Kanji.

I also want to point out that it is many times easier to learn to read a known word than an unknown word. With a known word, once you read it you understand it immediately and the work is over. But after reading unknown words, then you have to sit there and try to remember what they mean.

With my two types of questions, I have over 80 "cards" to go through at once. Keep in mind, I'm not doing any writing. So far, this method is too easy. I need to add something. I think it should require a little more involvement with the characters. However, that would require more setup work. It will likely be more difficult when I get to the more "advanced" level characters as there will be many more words I do not know.

Here are the Kanji I learned today:
針納絶総為孝蓄抵抗条喫潔忠尺釈択描拝抜振折揮輝防妨憲騒博葬蒸宗浮奨励露宴宣貴賃貨貧縁恩霧

This takes me through character 859 in Kanji in Context. I think it took me around 90 minutes to type in the data for these 44 characters. Of course, I was watching TV at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment